Fall at Larz Anderson
Set of folded stationery cards printed on bright white, smooth card stock to bring your personal artistic style to everyday correspondence. Each card is blank on the inside and includes a soft white, European fold envelope for mailing.
Larz Anderson Park is a wooded, landscaped, and waterscaped 64-acre (26 ha) parkland in Brookline, Massachusetts that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cleared and developed as a farm in the 17th century by the Welds, in 1899 the estate was purchased from a fellow Weld Family member by socialite heiress Isabel Weld Perkins and her Paris-born diplomat husband Larz Anderson.
Crowning this Brookline property was a twenty-five room mansion overlooking the Boston skyline which the Anderson’s named “Weld” to honor Isabel’s grandfather. They remodeled it to resemble Lulworth Castle, an ancestral home associated with the Welds. This became the Anderson’s home for summers and Christmas holidays.
Their gardens, designed by Charles A. Platt, were featured in a 1904 issue of Town and Country. The accompanying photographs show lavishly ornate terraces laid out in Europe style. After Larz served as Ambassador to Japan, the Andersons improved the beautiful property still further and added the Chinese and Japanese gardens, a water garden with koi, sculpture, a polo field, topiary and an outdoor theater.
When Isabel Anderson died in 1948, she bequeathed this entire estate to the Town of Brookline, including mansion, land, and a collection of vehicles. Although the mansion became damaged beyond affordable repair and is now the site of the skating rink, the immense Carriage House and the elegant “Temple of Love” on the shore of the water garden still reflect the charm and magnificence of Weld when the Andersons were alive.
Today the park is used for the home cross country course for Brookline High School.