Cape Nelson Lighthouse
by Chris Chalk
Fine art print on bright white, fine poly-cotton blend, matte canvas using latest generation Epson archival inks. Individually trimmed and hand stretched museum wrap over 1-1/2" deep wood stretcher bars. Includes wall hanging hardware.
A remarkable feature of the lighthouse reserve is a rubble wall 1.75 metres high, 0.4 metres wide and 435 metres (1450 ft) long surrounding the keepers quarters and extending out to the light to protect the keepers from the harsh winds. An auxiliary light was added to the base of the tower in 1890.
The original lighting apparatus was replaced in 1907 with a incandescent vapourised kerosene mantle.
In 1934, the light was one of the first to upgraded to electric operation. The power was provided by a generator plant. At the same time it became group flashing and a clockwork mechanism was installed to turn the light.
In 1977, a major overhaul of the lantern room was undertaken and the cupola (dome) was replaced. In 1987, the light was connected mains power.
Cape Nelson, Victoria, Australia
*Canon EOS “KISS” D/SLR Camera
1/200, 34mm, F11, ISO 1OO