Cape Nelson Lighthouseby Chris' Landscape Images Of Australia
Collect your choice of gallery quality Giclée, or fine art prints custom trimmed by hand in a variety of sizes with a white border for framing.
ABOUT THE ART
This lighthouse was lit in 1884 after the building had been delayed by difficulty in obtaining suitable bluestone for the project. The stone that had been originally quarried from close by soon ran out and consideration was given to completing the tower with steam bricks from Melbourne. However, suitable stone was found at a location eleven kilometres away. But there was no direct road and the stone had to be carted via Portland, a distance of twenty-one kilometres. Some 20 hands and 25 cutters were employed at the quarry and 15 teams were engaged to cart the dressed stone to the lighthouse site.This tower is believed to have replaced an earlier square wooden tower built in the 1870s.
A remarkable feature of the lighthouse reserve is a rubble wall 1.75 metres high, 0.4 metres wide and 435 metres (1450 ft) long surrounding the keepers quarters and extending out to the light to protect the keepers from the harsh winds. An auxiliary light was added to the base of the tower in 1890.
The original lighting apparatus was replaced in 1907 with a incandescent vapourised kerosene mantle.
In 1934, the light was one of the first to upgraded to electric operation. The power was provided by a generator plant. At the same time it became group flashing and a clockwork mechanism was installed to turn the light.
In 1977, a major overhaul of the lantern room was undertaken and the cupola (dome) was replaced. In 1987, the light was connected mains power.
Cape Nelson, Victoria, Australia
*Canon EOS “KISS” D/SLR Camera
1/200, 34mm, F11, ISO 1OO