Albert Bridge - Adelaideby Chris' Landscape Images & Designs
Free Worldwide Shipping Today!
Collect your choice of gallery quality Giclée, or fine art prints custom trimmed by hand in a variety of sizes with a white border for framing.
ABOUT THE ART
The Albert Bridge is adjacent to the Adelaide Zoo and crosses over the city’s famous Torrens River. A timber bridge was constructed in 1859, west of the current bridge, and named the Old Frome Bridge. The current bridge was named after Prince Albert, later King Edward VII, and opened in his presence on 7 May 1879.
The wrought iron structure is made from three parallel, scalloped girders that were manufactured in England. It is 120 feet (36.6 m) long with a cantilevered span of 60 feet (18 m). The bridge is 43 feet (13 m) wide and originally had a timber deck, which was replaced with concrete in 1922.
The bridge is listed on the "City of Adelaide Heritage Register", the "South Australian Heritage Register" and the "Register of the National Estate". A complete restoration was finished in 1982, with the bridge now appearing as it did at the 1879 opening.
*Canon EOS “KISS” D/SLR Camera
ISO - 100