Warrenpoint Castleby Stephen Maxwell
Free Shipping on Everything Today!
Fine art print on bright white, fine poly-cotton blend, matte canvas using latest generation Epson archival inks. Individually trimmed and hand stretched museum wrap over 1-1/2" deep wood stretcher bars. Includes wall hanging hardware.
ABOUT THE ART
A castle was built here in 1212 by Hugh de Lacey and is situated on a small island in the Newry River just before it becomes Carlingford Lough. It was strategically placed at the narrowest point to prevent foreign/undesirable craft from proceeding further up the river to Newry town. It was originally called Caol Castle, prior to it being built The Danes had established a station at Narrowwater in 790 AD from whence they carried out raids on the nearby territory and on religious establishments such as Killeavy. The Vikings remained here until the mid-tenth century when they were beaten and driven out by Murray McNeill. The castle was rebuilt in 1560.